Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Heat Awareness Day!

According to the National Weather Service (which is never ever almost always wrong), today is Heat Awareness Day in New York City. I just checked the weather report; it's 71 degrees. That's warm, at best. Doesn't seem to warrant a holiday. I think 80 justifies heat awareness. Not 71. But I've decided to observe, despite the utter lack of heat to be aware of. Why? I figure if this whole global warming thing ever comes to fruition, Heat Awareness Day is going to be HUGE. Like Christmas. Or Law Day. And I want to look back and say I was there. I was part of the first Heat Awareness Day. It was legendary: 71 degrees, overcast, with a 40% chance of precipitation. But I'll make it sound way more bad ass. "I survived the heat wave," I'll explain to my grandchildren, as they look to me in wide-eyed wonderment. "It was so hot the clouds started to cry."

4 comments:

Justin said...

Well, it might be 71, but it feels like 71.

Jennifer Good said...

I just read your twitter page on Baskin-Robbins and Holy Fuck. I don't think this is what the original owners had in mind. But I should stop typing before I go into a rant about America.

Shana said...

I'm saving my celebration for Humidity Awareness Day

Anonymous said...

It's in fact very difficult in this busy life to listen news on TV, thus I simply use the web for that purpose, and take the latest news.

my web blog :: cash advance with no credit